I - Remote Replication: Protect Files From Data Loss By Remote Replication
I – Remote Replication: Protect Files From Data Loss By Remote Replication
“Protect files from data loss by remote replication”
What is Remote Replication?
Remote replication is the process of sharing information across the network so as to ensure the consistency between two different sites, e.g. the storage servers. In other words, it is a kind of data mirroring over distance.
Why do I need Remote Replication?
One of the major benefits of mirroring is that in case of data loss at the primary site, the remote site can be brought online and continues to work at the exact point of time when the primary site failed. This not only ensures you a complete data backup but also keeps the system in an operating condition continuously with the least amount of downtime.
Below is a remote replication scenario.
Please follow the procedure below to set up remote replication on the Turbo NAS. Note that some screenshots may look different depending on the firmware version you are using.
Step 1: Configure the settings on the remote Turbo NAS
A) Forward the port 873 on your NAT router to the LAN IP address of the remote NAS, e.g. forward port 873 to 192.168.1.3.
B) Login the administration interface of your remote NAS.
C) Create a share folder as the replication destination on the remote NAS.
(For example, create a network share called “Sales” and a subfolder “2008″ on the remote NAS.)
D) To allow a standard Rsync server to back up data to this remote server, don’t forget to check the option “Allow remote Rsync server to back to data to NAS”.
If you change the port number, remember to forward it on your NAT router like you did in step A.
Step 2: Configure the settings on the local Turbo NAS
A) Login your local Turbo NAS.
B) Go to “Backup” > “Remote Replication”.
C) Click “Create New Replicating Job” to create a new backup job.
The “Remote Replication Wizard” will pop up to guide you through the process of creating a new replication job.
1. Select the server type (NAS server to replicate to another QNAP NAS) and enter the job name. Click “Next”.
2. Enter the details for the remote destination. Click “Next”.
3. Specify the destination path, i.e. the share folder and the directory where the local NAS data will be backed up to. Click “Next”.
To make it simple, just click the text box. A remote folder list will appear. You can select the remote folder for the replication job directly.
a. Click here
b. Double click here
4. Specify the local path for the replication job. The data in this folder will be replicated to the remote NAS. You can also click the text box and select the folder directly. Click “Next”.
5. Specify the replication schedule. Click “Next”.
6. Select the desired options for the replication, then click “Next”.
- If you decide to choose encrypted replication, you may need to forward the port 22 as you have done for the port 873 in Step 1.
- The encrypted replication is possible only with the user “admin” (in Step 2)
- Incremental replication allows copying of modified source data to the remote server only after the first-time complete backup. This saves the time for future replication.
7. Click “Finish” to complete the setup of the replication job.
Upon successful job creation you will see the status of your current job as “Replicating” if you’ve selected “Replicate now”. For the scheduled replication job which has not been started yet, the status will be “Ready”.
Back up the Windows PC data to the Turbo NAS by remote replication (Rsync)
To back up the Windows PC data to the Turbo NAS by the remote replication feature over Rsync, you can use a Windows Rsync application, such as “DeltaCopy”. DeltaCopy is a graphical configuration utility that enables the Windows® user or administrator to replicate the data on a Windows® PC to any remote server running Rsync (QNAP NAS in this case). For more information, please visit:http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jspRemote Replication: Protect Files From Data Loss By Remote ReplicationRemote Replication: Veri Kaybına Karşı Verilerinizi Remote Replication İle Koruyun,